ALIVE Outdoors Program Co-ordinator
COMPANY AND JOB OVERVIEW
ALIVE Outdoors is an experiential outdoor education company with an office based in Toronto. Our programs focus on personal strengths and character development to empower learners to better navigate school, work and life for personal and professional happiness and well-being. We strongly believe that the outdoors is a powerful classroom in which to help people deepen their sense of self-efficacy and understand the importance of fostering respectful relationships amongst themselves, with others and with nature.
We are looking to expand our small full-time team. It’s important to note that this job will evolve and shift over time. However, for now, the main function of this role is two-fold: (1) Administrative. To support in the planning, development and back-end organization of our programs that meet the specific needs of all ALIVE Outdoors clients; (2) Facilitator. On-site lead facilitation of ALIVE Outdoors' residential and expedition programs.
The successful candidate will have a multitude of responsibilities, many of them relating to administrative and logistical tasks. To name a few examples, they will be responsible for the ongoing development and maintenance of program schedules. As well, this person will help with all the logistics around sub-contractors, data tracking, permit-booking, equipment packing, parent/client communications, social media, etc. Essentially, this person’s focus is ensuring that our school programs continue to thrive and that all the little details are in place to set everyone (students, teachers, parents, instructors) up for success.
More specific details about the skills and attributes we are looking for are available at: www.aliveoutdoors.com/programcoordinator
Education & Qualifications
- Post-secondary education required. Bachelor of Education an asset.
- Must hold a current Wilderness First Responder (WFR) qualification and be certified in water rescue (NLS, SRT, WRT, etc.) by an accredited organization or be willing to attain certification.
- ACCT Challenge Course certification an asset.
- Must have a Driver’s License with a clean and clear driving record.
- Facilitating and developing experiential learning programs.
- Administrative duties, schedule creation, logistical planning, mentoring large teams
- Previous experience with ALIVE Outdoors is an asset.
- Very strong attention to detail. Excellent written and oral skills in English are required. Must always be meticulous when it comes to grammar, spelling, logistics, etc.
- Computer Proficiency (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, iPhoto/iMovie, Adobe Photoshop, G-Suite)
- Reliability and a high level of professionalism while always maintaining a warm and genuine presence.
- Previous experience in research and development an asset.
- Knowledge of current Ontario curriculum an asset.
- Knowledge of social media marketing tools and effective communication via these outlets.
- Must be capable and comfortable speaking in front of large groups of students, parents and teachers.
- Must be able to lead a large instructor team, act as a resource, and feel comfortable supervising and giving constructive, authentic feedback when required.
- Must be comfortable with conflict resolution, and can give and receive ongoing constructive feedback to and from partner operators.
- Must be able to take desired learning outcomes and transfer them into experiential activities.
- Excellent sense of humour and playful essence is crucial.
- Continually aspire to be a resource and inspiring role model for clients and instructors.
- Self-driven. Must be able to work with little guidance in an environment that is continuously evolving. Must be flexible, quick thinking, action-oriented and have effective time management skills. Efficiency in this role is key.
- Strong managerial skills, capable of organizing, communicating and uniting ALIVE instructors into a cohesive team.
- Excellent creative thinking skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines with reports and administrative tasks.
- Comfortable receiving professional feedback, with a willingness to grow.
- Available to work mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends and holidays as required by schedule.
- Again, this role will continue to evolve as the company continues to grow and change. The successful candidate must be willing and able to grow and change as well. Ongoing discussions will be had to ensure that both parties are happy and remain on the same page with regards to expectations and commitments.
- Must agree to live within the Toronto area, as this is where the office is located, along with the majority of our clients. We are committed to a high level of personal attention.
- Must have own vehicle that is well maintained and reliable. (Preferably a vehicle that has a decent amount of space for transporting gear).
- Must have Internet at home residence.
Realities of Working with ALIVE
- To date, time away on program is mainly late-August through mid-October, January through March and May. Summers allow for time off and preparation for the fall season. However, as ALIVE continues to grow and evolve programs are not restricted to these times. Mid-August to mid-October and January are the most intense months of the year and very few personal plans can be made.
- Having the ability and willingness to adapt to the demands of this position is key. In turn, the flexibility (i.e. personal work schedule) goes both ways if appropriately communicated and planned.
- This position will remain open until an outstanding candidate is found. Flexibility exists on the start date. We would like someone in place by the end of 2018 at the latest.
- There will be a probationary period of 4 months to establish whether we are a good fit for each other.
- Please only apply if you see yourself in this role relatively long-term (ideally a few years or more), and you are looking to be part of an organization that sees this work as a calling and a passion rather than simply just a job.
- Competitive salary, to be discussed with the successful candidate.
Application materials must ONLY be submitted electronically (PDF preferred).
Interested candidates, please send:
- A cover letter that addresses your philosophy of education, your personal strengths, why your specific skillset allows you to be an outstanding facilitator, some background on your previous experience with logistics and scheduling as well as how you feel you can contribute to ALIVE Outdoors. Please address your letter to: Jalynn Bosley.
- Your resume. (PDF Format)
- Names of 3 professional references, including their phone number(s), their email address, and their relationship to you.
Please send your application to: email@example.com
Please write PROGRAM COORDINATOR in the subject line of your email.
To learn more about ALIVE Outdoors you are encouraged to visit: www.aliveoutdoors.com
We sincerely appreciate your time and effort to send us your application.
We will be in touch with only those applicants we wish to interview.