Hiring Multiple Positions for Winter 2024
*Are you a returning instructor? No need to re-apply. Simply be in touch with us through email at [email protected]. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Job Title: Outdoor Educator/ Instructor
Location: Outdoor Centres in the Haliburton and Gravenhurst areas.
Compensation: Daily Rate $165.75 – $200.00 based on experience, certifications, & level of responsibility.
Work Term: Contracts in January and February 2024. Work the full season or piece together contracts that fit your schedule. Possibility of extension into Spring 2024 and Fall 2024 positions.
CURRENT POSTINGS WITH ALIVE
ALIVE Outdoors is a Toronto-based experiential education company that has been working with Ontario and International Independent Schools to engage students in meaningful outdoor, international, and city-based character development programming for the last 21 years. We aim to empower participants to recognize and embrace their inner potential, helping people build enriching, respectful relationships with themselves, others, and the environment in our local/global communities.
Description of Position:
In Camp Winter Program
During the Winter 2024 season, ALIVE Outdoors will be working with schools from Grade 3 – 12 in the winter environment. Programs will be based out of winterized Outdoor Centres in the Haliburton and Gravenhurst areas. Instructors will be responsible for facilitating activities they are qualified for. These may include cross country skiing, snowshoeing, winter fire building, nature interpretation, team building initiatives, high and low ropes courses, skating, and workshop facilitation in relationship to community and leadership development.
Winter Camping / Quinzhee Sleep Out
Some camp-based programs will include creating and sleeping out in Quinzhee snow structures or wood-heated wall tents for one or two nights. These overnights will take place in backwooded areas on the camp property. If you have experience with this please note it on your application form. Thank you.
- Engage and facilitate small groups of students through activities you are qualified for in the winter environment. For example, team building initiatives, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, fire building, nature interpretation and connection, leadership, community building activities and more.
- Facilitate group conversations to highlight teachable moments to transfer learning of the program to an everyday application.
- Clean and Clear Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Standard First Aid (at minimum).
- Experience facilitating young people in-person with a focus on character development and life skills.
Additional certifications that are considered an asset and will raise your daily rate of pay:
- First Aid: Wilderness First Responder
- Water Safety: National Lifeguarding (Pool or Waterfront), White Water/ Swiftwater Rescue Technician, or Wilderness Water Safety
- Ropes/Climbing Facilitation: Ropes, Climbing Wall, and Challenge Course Certifications
Previous winter facilitation considered an asset but NOT required.
While experience facilitating activities in a winter environment will be considered an asset, this position does NOT require any previous winter experience. If you have experience working with young people in relationship to life skills, leadership and/or community development, we encourage you to apply.
ALIVE Outdoors believes that a diverse instructor team creates stronger programs. We encourage all people to apply including women, indigenous, people of colour and members of the LGBTQ+ community.