Hiring Multiple Positions for Fall 2024
* Are you a returning instructor? No need to re-apply. Simply be in touch with us through email at [email protected]. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Job Title: Outdoor Education/Instructor
Location: Outdoor Centres and Camps in Algonquin Park, Haliburton, and Muskoka areas.
Compensation: Daily Rate – $165.75 starting to $200.00 based on experience, certifications, & level of responsibility.
Work Term: Contracts in September and October 2024. Work the full season or piece contracts together that fit your schedule.
CURRENT POSTINGS WITH ALIVE
ALIVE Outdoors is a Toronto-based experiential education company that has been working with Ontario and International Independent Schools to engage students in meaningful outdoor, international, and city-based character development programming for the last 23 years. We aim to empower participants to recognize and embrace their inner potential, helping people build enriching, respectful relationships with themselves, others, and the environment in our local/global communities.
Description of Position:
During the Fall 2024 season, ALIVE Outdoors will be working with schools from Grade 3 – 12. Programs will be based out of Outdoor Centres and camps in the Haliburton, Algonquin Park and Gravenhurst areas where instructors will be working with students from Ontario and International schools who participate annually in ALIVE programs. This fall we will have contracts that are facilitated in-camp as well as multi-day canoe trips. You will be placed on programs that you are qualified for. Some instructor schedules may be all in-camp while others, a mix of both in-camp and canoe trips.
- Engage and facilitate small groups of students through activities you are qualified for. For example, team or community-building initiatives, leadership programming, beginner canoeing, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding, fire building, nature interpretation, high and low ropes courses, lifeguarding swimming in the lake, games, and more.
- Facilitate group conversations that highlight teachable moments to transfer learning from the program to an everyday application.
Flat Water Canoe Trip Programs: 2 – 5 nights – Lead and Assistant Positions Available.
- Prep food and gear – this will be available to you at the host site (base camp).
- Prep route and evacuation procedures.
- Establish a positive working relationship with the co-instructor.
- Review pertinent medical information for all students on the trip.
- Maintain physical and mental health of all students.
- Establish and maintain a positive community and learning environment.
- Facilitate group conversations that highlight teachable moments to transfer learning from the trip to students’ everyday life. This includes opening and closing the day thoughtfully.
- Clean and Clear Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Standard First Aid (at minimum).
- Experience facilitating young people in-person with a focus on character development and life skills.
Additional certifications that are considered an asset and will raise your daily rate of pay:
- First Aid: Wilderness First Responder
- Water Safety: National Lifeguarding (Pool or Waterfront), White Water/ Swiftwater Rescue Technician, or Wilderness Water Safety
- Ropes/Climbing Facilitation: Ropes, Climbing Wall, and Challenge Course Certifications
Previous facilitation is considered an asset but NOT required.
While experience facilitating experiential/outdoor activities will be considered an asset, please note we have positions that do NOT require previous experience in this context. If you have experience working with young people in relation to life skills, leadership, and/or community development in any context (music, art therapy, etc.) we encourage you to apply.
Your strengths are needed. We shape programs around instructor’s unique skills and talents.
ALIVE Outdoors believes that a diverse instructor team creates stronger programs. We encourage all people to apply including women, indigenous, people of colour and members of the LGBTQ+ community.